Wednesday 29 February 2012

Video Killed the Radio Star?

ART INSTALLATION AND FLASH MOB!
So - I love plastic. And, I hate plastic.
One of things that really irritates me about plastic is video tape.
What was once, loved and adored film and TV collections is now 5p junk in every trash store in the country.
Yuk, what do we do with the stuff now practically no one owns a VHS player?
Art? Why not!?

So after a few weeks of freecycling, and shocked by the alarming abundance of unwanted video tapes there are in existence, I managed to collect a large volume of once loved video collections in the pursuit of making some challenging art with the stuff.

Here are some of the ideas that I have so far played about with...






Wow, so I discovered that this tape can become quite beautiful.
Fascinated by this, I decided to try and get other people inspired to play around with the tape.
My focus was to get people to think about upcycling - changing its form and giving it a different or greater use. 

So I organised a FLASH MOB ART INSTALLATION USING UNWANTED VIDEO TAPE!











So in one hour only, approximately 40 wonderful, creative people of all ages came along and weaved, knitted, sculpted, tied, formed, shaped and re fashioned miles of unwanted video tape in to a unique, one-off piece of art.

No comments: